U.S. Society Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Island Government Project

This blog is mainly (actually only) about what I thought of the Island Government project.

Initially, the class broke up into small groups that made their own ideas on what should be done for a government. Then, the whole class got together and we discussed what we thought would be the best way to handle the situation at hand. After a "Island Meeting" the class decided that our new government should be a basic Republican government. Then, to my surprise, they elected a president......me. I didn't see that coming.

Some of the problems (I'll be kind......) that we had as a group in our discussions and decision making are as follows. First, I think that we were totally inefficient as a group making decisions because of all of the talking that was going on throughout the whole meeting. I also think that some people weren't participating to their full potential and they weren't helping as much as they could have been helping. Second, I think that almost all of the decisions that did get made were only made by me because nobody else seemed to care. I think that if everyone would have given input (where relevent) then we would have had a happier island.

Overall, our Island government (besides its flaws) seemed to work out at least decently. We decided on a Republic structure, where we elected a "president" and a "vice president" who basically had control over everyone else. We also decided that we would have a good sized bill of rights in which I won't get into detail about right now, but we did have one anyway. Basically, everyone had just about equal power when it came to voting and sharing their ideas, shich I think would have worked out if we would have had more time to really discuss the topic and get it done.

Anyway, this is basically what I thought about the whole Island Government project.

Mik

1 Comments:

Blogger DV8 said...

Thanks M. Yeah, the process was kind of funky, but I thought you did an outstanding job keeping it moving in a forward direction. You are doing great work - keep pushing yourself and enjoying the process.

11:22 PM, September 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home