U.S. Society Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Global Warming talk W/ Parents

As I sat down to talk with my parents about global warming and what they thought about it I realized that they probably know more about it than I do. I soon found that I was pretty much correct.

I started to talk about it with them and found out very quickly that they both believe that it is an extremely dangerous problem and that we need to do something about it now. They took me to see An Inconvinient Truth a couple of months ago before we watched it in class, and I thought that it was very interesting and I wanted to know more about it. After we watched it for the first time, we persuaded our church to go 100% wind powered along with our house and Dad's business that he runs. We have a hybrid car and we try to drive it whenever we have a choice to do so. Also, we always look at ways to be more helpful to the environment and we try as much as we can to do our part to help out.

Then, I asked Dad what he knew about Solar energy. He didn't know much, so we talked for a while about it. Solar power is a little bit more expensive than other energy options, but after the initial purchase, almost 90% of it is deductible and comes back. Also, if you aren't using the solar power that you generate, you can basically sell it back to the energy company. Plus, with all the sun that we get here in the mountains, it would be a very good idea in my opinion. Dad thinks that everyone in Colorado should go for solar power and then we would be like a giant, self-sustaining power plant.

Sounds good, doesn't it???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home